Sunday, November 12, 2006

Motown to sample Sheff's cooking

I have mixed feelings about the Tigers trading three pitching prospects to the Yankees for Gary Sheffield. I'll start with the secondary concern: Anything that could make NYY better is bad.

But the effect of the deal on the Tigers is the primary concern. The pitchers given up were apparently some highly thought of arms, but really didn't figure in Detroit's long-term future if Bonderman, Verlander, Maroth, Robertson, and Miller remain healthy.

Sheffield can be a pain in the butt, but he loves Leyland and Leyland loves him. There's something to be said for that. Furthermore, Sheffield surely makes the Tigers' lineup far better. I imagine the lineup would look like: Granderson, Polanco, Maggs, Sheff, Guillen, Pudge ... not too shabby.

The rest is up in the air. The futures of Monroe and Inge seem to be in question. From what I've read, the Tigers are going to explore the free agent market for a third baseman (Ramirez?) and also were supposed to be interested in Soriano, although I don't know if the Sheffield deal takes that off the table.

I'm surprised the Tigers are looking for help at third because I really like Inge. If nothing else, the Sheffield move shows free agents the Tigers are serious about winning now. It should be an interesting offseason.

No comments: