Thursday, May 31, 2007

That long road

It’s easy to forget that a baseball season is a marathon, unlike a football season, where the result of every game carries great weight. I’m trying to remind myself of this fact as I watch the Tigers struggle through their current 1-5 slide.

I hated to see Detroit swept at home by Cleveland, but consoled myself with the knowledge that the Tribe is a good club. Losing 2 of 3 in Tampa Bay, especially the bullpen meltdown on Memorial Day, was tougher to take. Of course, the pen wasn’t helped by Curtis Granderson playing a single into a triple or Mike Rabelo’s throwing error.

The Tigers sure have been streaky. Since the final week of April, they’ve gone 11-1, 1-4, 5-1, 1-5. Hopefully, another 11-1 is around the corner.

That might be tough with a 4-game set in Cleveland upon us. Justin Verlander (5-1, 2.71) meets C.C. Sabathia (7-1, 3.54) in tonight’s opener. The Tigers are expected to be without SS Carlos Guillen (groin strain) and 3B Brandon Inge (chip fracture in toe). Not exactly the news we wanted to read.

Tomorrow it will be Mike Maroth (3-2, 5.04) vs. Fausto Carmona (6-1, 2.89) followed by Chad Durbin (4-1, 4.39) vs. Cliff Lee (2-2, 5.86) on Saturday and Jeremy Bonderman (4-0, 3.34) vs. Jeremy Sowers (1-5, 6.29) on Sunday.

If Verlander wins tonight, the Tigs got a chance to take 3. I'd be happy with a split.

Skipper Jim Leyland remains confident, telling Tigers.com: "I don't want anybody feeling sorry for us. We've got what we've got and what we've got is pretty good. I'll take this team anywhere."

No comments: