Thursday, November 08, 2007

Bourn free

The Phillies’ trade with Houston to acquire Brad Lidge was a good move, I think. Basically, it seems the Phils understand they’ve got a small window here to win a World Series and are moving all in.

First, Philly gave up an over-rated CF prospect in Michael Bourn, at least in my opinion, and a workhorse reliever of modest ability in Geoff Geary. Philly also sent minor league 3B Mike Costanzo to Houston; from what I’ve read, Costanzo is being described as a Russell Branyan-type player. The Phillies also got utility man Eric Bruntlett.

Lidge’s arrival means Brett Myers returns to the rotation. I don’t agree with this move because I think Myers could be an outstanding closer, but I understand the rationale. Hopefully, a change of scenery will benefit Lidge, who can be either great or not-so-good. Certainly, when you consider what Philly gave up, it’s worth the risk because Lidge has a huge upside and will only be 31 next season.

As for Bourn, I think he is most likely a Nook Logan-type. When I looked at both players’ first years of semi-regular MLB activity, this is what I found:

Logan – age 24.
Plate appearances – 152. BA/OBP/SLG – .278/.340/.346.
BA/BIP – .336.

Bourn – age 24.
Plate appearances – 133. BA/OBP/SLG – .277/.349/.379.
BA/BIP – .330.

Those similarities might mean nothing, of course, but I thought they were interesting.

No comments: