Monday, January 14, 2008

Inge's future in the past?

If the Tigers are unable to trade Brandon Inge, they would love for him to consider returning to the catcher position. Jim Leyland said backup Vance Wilson still might need time to recover from last year's elbow surgery. Plus, Pudge Rodriguez's contract expires after this season.

GM Dave Dombrowski, according to the Detroit papers, recently said: "If I was Brandon Inge's best friend I'd tell him 'you should catch.' I say that not thinking he can't play third, but because to me, this guy can be an All-Star catcher. Not only is he good defensively, but his offense takes on a different meaning at that position. Last year was a down year for him, but if he puts up the same offensive numbers, but as a catcher, he might be an All-Star."

Inge primarily was a catcher from 2001 throught 2003. He never batted above .203 during that time and seemed to become a better hitter when moved to third base. He hit .287 in 2004. His batting average has slipped steadily since then, but Dombrowski is correct that Inge's .236-14-71 line would be favorable as a catcher.

The Tigers will still try to deal Inge, as he requested, so he can play every day elsewhere.

"It breaks my heart, to be honest with you, because I love Brandon Inge," Leyland told the Detroit News. "He's one of my favorite players."

No comments: