Saturday, April 23, 2005

Who am I?

Joe Morgan is considered by some to be the game's greatest second baseman, but I hit .320 with 1,774 runs, 184 HR, 1,427 RBI and 181 SB in my 19-year career (although I played a total of just 13 games my first two seasons). My 162-game average is .320-13-100 with 124 R and 13 SB.

I was a league MVP and finished second once, losing to a teammate (we had four of the top six players in the voting that year). I finished in the Top 10 in MVP voting eight times.

One year I led the league in batting, twice I led in runs, doubles and hits. I led the league in triples and stolen bases once and finished in the Top 10 for RBI four times. Three times I was in the Top 10 for homers. My career OBP+SLG is .884, second among all Hall of Fame second basemen and only trails Rogers Hornsby.

Defensively, I led the league in both assists and fielding percentage seven times each. I batted a record .500 in 20 All-Star Game at-bats.

An opposing pitcher once said of me, "He hits .350 on opening day and stays there all season."

3 comments:

joe said...

My guess, without looking anything up but having considered it for a couple of minutes, is Napoleon Jajoie, whose name I've never found a definitive pronunciation for. I am now going to go look it up.

Sparky said...

Good guess, but wrong. And from what I found on Baseball Almanac's Web site, Nap's name is pronounced Lah-joe-way. I also saw it as la-zho-way.

Stanley said...

I knew I had no chance of guessing this one, so, I immediately looked it up. For anyone still playing, I'll give another hint:

He had a teammate that was often seen wearing a shirt.