Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Trade winds

Jim Leyland says the Tigers are not trading for Bobby Abreu. That's been one of the hot rumors going around because Detroit is in need of a left-handed bat. Another rumor has John Smoltz headed to Motown at some point.

It appears that pitcher Joel Zumaya, and maybe OF/DH Marcus Thames, are the most sought after players by other teams. I hope the Tigers don't trade Zumaya as arms like that are tough to come by. I know you have to give something to get something, but I'm not a big fan of tinkering with a team that's playing like this one is right now.

Thames is interesting. He's got talent, but can he hit consistently? His trade value will never be higher. But, again, I would hate to see him go because of the attitude and energy he brings. I could live with it, but I wouldn't like it. Of course, if he slumps to .230, I'll wish they'd pulled the trigger on a deal.

No comments: