Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Down but not out?

There is a difference of opinion regarding how Aaron Rowand's injury might affect the Phils. Brian says the Fightins will overcome. I'm not sure. The Phils went 5-8 with Rowand out of the lineup when he busted his nose (and 2-8 in the final 10 games of that span).

It's not that I don't think Victorino can step in for Rowand. I just think his loss hurts the bench too much and might hurt the lineup overall.

Weird, too, is that Rowand gets hurt just as he's getting hot. When he broke his nose, Rowand was .326-4-12 in his previous 12 games. This time, Rowand was hitting .308 in his previous 13 games with 8 runs and 4 RBI.

We'll see what happens. One thing -- Pat Burrell could step up and be even just half the player everyone hoped he might be. I'm not holding my breath.

No comments: