Friday, October 14, 2005

Is Wagner worth it?

Joe pointed out to me a great little blurb by Baseball Prospectus about the whole Wagner situation that I agree with 100%. Basically saying it would be better to use the money needed to sign Wags on some starting pitching and let Ryan Madson close.

I have been on the fence about the whole Wagner thing for a while now and I had thought Madson would be a good guy to give the first shot at closing to. I got scared off a little towards the end of the season when Madson started to stink it up, but I didn’t realize how much Madson had pitched. You have to think he would pitch a few less innings if he were the closer. If nothing else the Phillies could also resign Urbina and have him as a back up if Madson fails. anyway you look at it the team needs to upgrade the starting pitching if they want do more than just make the playoffs.

Either way I think it shows how stupid it would be to sign Wagner before a GM is in place.


Speaking of that whole no GM thing, Marcus Hayes has this to offer.

"The top candidates for one of the most attractive jobs in baseball will be big names with pedigrees such as: former Astros GM Gerry Hunsicker (who will interview for a front-office positing in Tampa next week), former Indians and Rangers GM John Hart, also a candidate in Tampa Bay, former Mets GMs Steve Phillips and Jim Duquette, former Red Sox GM Dan Duquette and, if he becomes available, Yankees GM Brian Cashman."


Why is it that Phillips is not the only name that scares me on the list?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I fixed the link. Right now the Phillies are driving me crazy. I think Buster Olney at ESPN just said about the situation that when the manager gets fired it’s usually the GM that’s the problem. When the GM gets fired it means the owners are the problem. Sure looks true with the Phillies.