Monday, October 10, 2005

Motown becomes Iron City

Detroit will look more like Pittsburgh when the Tigers take the field next year.

New manager Jim Leyland is bringing over a slew of former players from his days with the Pirates. From what the Detroit Free Press reports, Andy Van Slyke, Lloyd McClendon, Rafael Belliard and Don "Sluggo" Slaught could all be members of Leyland's coaching staff. Plus Gene Lamont, who followed Leyland as manager in Pittsburgh.

Van Slyke, who has never coached, is being asked to be the Tigers' outfield and baserunning coach. Leyland believes Slick is the ideal candidate to teach youngsters Curtis Granderson and Nook Logan how to play in spacious Comerica Park.

If Slick does join the Tiger, it would be funny -- at least for me. Way back during spring training of 1984, I got my picture taken with Van Slyke, who was getting ready to start his second season with the Cardinals. I was in high school at the time. I recall Van Slyke giving me a hard time because I was wearing a Tigers cap. Hopefully, I can find that picture.

Larry Rothschild, who spent seven years in the Tigers organization, is being sought to be the pitching coach. He worked with Leyland with the 1997 world champion Florida Marlins.

No comments: