Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Phalling phlat

I haven't thought much about this, but the thought I have given leads me to this: The Phils have to be the strangest team in MLB. How can a team that's No. 1 in OBP in the NL and No. 3 in OPS have so much trouble scoring runs? Obviously, Utley and Howard going 5-for-32 is a factor. But you'd still think they could produce a little something.

I'm a little concerned about Howard. I was suspicious of him entering last year, and his performance got me to change my mind. Now I'm hoping last year wasn't the irregularity.

Unless things change quickly, I'd say Charlie Manuel has to go. I'm not blaming Charlie. In fact, I've always defended Charlie (and would have helped pay whatever fines would have come as a result of punching Howard Eskin). But the Phils are in need of a shakeup. This would basically send this message to the players: Look at what you did to the manager you (supposedly) loved playing for.

Having been an assistant women's college basketball coach for two years, I think the strategy aspects get overblown to some extent. Charlie might not be a tactician, but I do think he is great at working with personalities. That's what the game really is about these days. Jim Leyland's performance last year would be another example.

Of course, great pitching helps, too. The Phils' pitching is last in ERA, last in opposing BA, last in OPS allowed, and second-to-last in pitches per inning. On the bright side, Brett Myers says he's fixed a flaw in his delivery that will benefit his fastball. We'll see.

No comments: