Monday, July 02, 2007

Dudley

I have fond recollections of Mike Hargrove as the manager of the Baltimore Orioles from 2000 - 2003 and his sudden resignation as manager of the Mariners compels me to say so.

The O's had a distinct lack of talent in those years yet watching them play was fine because they played good ball. They lost because they got outplayed, sure, but they got outplayed because their opponents were better. They did not do themselves in. When they got a decently pitched game and a clutch hit, they generally won.

Part of Hargrove's managerial style was to go to the bullpen early and often. There were no quick games with Grover as manager. Once he got to his bullpen, he had no compunction with using 'em all to get a win. The "Human Rain Delay", as he was called in his playing days for his deliberately slow plate routine prior to each pitch, was the "Human Game Delay" when managing.

With the growing frustration it is to be an O's fan, I had been considering turning my attentions to the Mariners, purely because 'Grover was the manager. Now that he's gone, I'm guess I'm stuck with the O's.

Hargrove resigned with the statement that his "passion has begun to fade". I wish him well. I hope he regains his passion.

Godspeed.

No comments: