Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Inge at third

Tom Gage in the Detroit News had a story today about Brandon Inge's terrific defense at third base. Getting to watch Inge play the field on a regular basis is a treat. He makes great plays it seems every night -- to his left, to his right, into left field, charging and barehanding, diving into the stands.

He also makes more errors than most, but that's only because he gets to so many more balls in tough spots. The errors were discussed as part of Gage's story, capped by a dig at lead-footed first baseman Sean Casey:

The down side of many plays Inge makes is he sometimes gets to his feet so quickly that he hurries his throw. The adrenaline rush of making the play can result in an adrenaline-rushed error. He's been working on correcting that, however.


"I'm so amped that I've thrown the ball away," he said. "But now, even though it might look like I'm showboating, I take the time to set myself. I take the time to calm down. But Casey helps me, too."


How so?


"By taking five seconds to get from where he's coming from over to first base. I have to wait on him anyway."


"Thanks, Brandon," said Casey, not even close to being offended.

No comments: