Friday, July 20, 2007

My crazy idea

Not that hitting really is the Phillies problem, but Iwas thinking about the lineup last night and came up with this idea:

Shane Victorino
Pat Burrell
Chase Utley
Jimmy Rollins
Ryan Howard
Aaron Rowand
Whatever
Whatever
Pitcher

I understand this would never happen. But Victorino is a leadoff man, much more than a No. 2 hitter. Rollins will have to live with the fact Victorino is more valuable there, which is no knock on Jimmy.

Burrell in the 2 spot because he takes a lot of pitches AND would probably get to sit on fastballs with Victorino on first base. Imagine the way pitchers would throw to Burrell with Victorino's speed on first and Utley on deck.

Utley is the best hitter, he goes 3. I don't think Burrell would clog the bases too much because Utley gets so many extra base hits.

Rollins would be 4 for two reasons. First, if the side is retired in order in the first, he's LEADING OFF the second. Next, if Howard's on base ahead of him, it does clog the bases. Howard would have to live with the 5 spot, but it shouldn't hurt him too much with Jimmy getting on base ahead of him. (More fastballs, too?). Then Rowand and whatever is left.

This lineup seems to make so much sense to me, but I know Jimmy and Ryan would be pissed. Yet I think if they ever did it, and saw the results I envision, they would love it.

No comments: